January and February are typically the coldest months of the year in Virginia. If you have trouble regulating the temperature inside your home, it may be a good time to invest in spray foam insulation!
Spray foam insulation is the perfect solution for keeping warm air in and cold temperatures out. Made from a liquid foam that can expand up to 100 times its original size, spray foam is an environmentally safe and non-toxic way to insulate your home.
Unlike traditional insulation, spray foam is installed by directly spraying the polyurethane foam onto the wall and floor cavities. It can also easily seal hard-to-reach places around electrical outlets and light fixtures. Spray foam is known for its ability to significantly reduce utility costs compared to other types of insulation. Its environmentally-friendly status will make you feel good about what you’re putting in your home.
Some benefits of spray foam insulation include:
- Ability to seal from air and water infiltration
- Improve indoor air quality
- No settling or sagging
- Environmentally friendly
Contact Creative Conservation today for a free estimate for spray foam insulation in your home!
Serving Richmond, Charlottesville, and Roanoke, VA
We hope that you all had a wonderful Christmas with your family and friends! Now that 2017 is almost here, it’s a great time to start thinking about what you want out of the New Year. One suggestion is to be kind to the environment. In that spirit, we’ve pulled together a list of 8 eco-friendly resolutions to help you start 2017 off right.
- Say no to plastic. It takes over 50 years for plastic bags to desintigrate. If you haven’t already, you can make the switch to reusable bags to lessen the use of plastic ones.
- Start a veggie garden. This is the year to grow your own food! It’s a great way to help the environment and feed your family right outside your door. At the Home Energy Store, we have everything you need to get started on this in the Spring.
- Go digital. The internet has opened up so many possibilities, including the option to purchase music and books online. This is a great way to reduce plastic waste and limit the use of paper material.
- Eat organic as much as possible. Organic costs a bit more up front, but this is money well spent because your food will be more nutritious, and you can be sure that your food was grown in a way that helped protect and enhance the ecosystem it was grown in.
- Use your own water bottle. The amount of oil used to create plastic water bottles each year is astronomical. Anything we can do to quickly and permanently phase out disposable plastic bottles would help improve our relationship with the people living in oil and gas-rich nations, protect ecosystems, save resources, reduce waste and deadly pollution, and save money.
- Hang your laundry to dry. Industrial, commercial, and residential clothes dryers use about 15-20% of domestic energy alone. Even using a clothesline or folded drying rack part-time would help reduce carbon dioxide emissions.
- RECYCLE. You can get the whole family involved with separating out aluminum, plastics, and paper. Locate and check into all the options at your local recycling center.
- Consider spray foam insulation. This environmentally-friendly home insulation product is labeled as NO VOC, meaning it is free of volatile organic compounds. The benefits of spray foam also include better indoor air quality and better air flow.
Turn over a new leaf and go green in 2017!
Posted in Ashland, Energy Conservation, Energy Saving, Gardening, Holidays, Sustainable Living
Tagged creative conservation, eco-friendly, environment, environmentally-friendly solutions, green, green resolutions, happy new year, happy new year 2017, Home Energy Store, home energy store ashland va, new year, new year's resolutions
Every year, we look forward to Thanksgiving and spending time with friends and family. Many of you may venture out to shop on Black Friday, but what about supporting local businesses during Small Business Saturday?
Every year, this event takes place the day after Black Friday – this year it will occur on Saturday, November 26. The day was created by American Express to encourage consumers to shop and brick and mortar businesses that are small and local. By shopping on Small Business Saturday, you’re not only giving back to the small businesses in your neighborhood – you’re supporting the local economy as a whole. Plus, it’s another reason to shop – that’s a bonus!
If you need more reasons to get out and shop local on Small Business Saturday, Forbes posted an article about why it matters. Come and see us at the Home Energy Store on November 26. See you Saturday!
Posted in Ashland, Energy Saving, Gardening, Holidays, Small Business Saturday, Sustainable Living
Tagged ashland, ashland va, earth friendly products, fall holidays, giving, holiday gifts, holiday giving, Home Energy Store, recycling, shop, shop local, shop small, small business saturday
If you’re new to the idea of spray foam, you may be wondering: What does it look like? How do the professionals apply it to my walls, crawl space, or attic?
The Video Resources page on the Creative Conservation website contains answers to these questions and more. Our video library includes applications for:
- Roof decks
- Basement walls
- Truss attics
- Rhino Linings
You can also view past commercials we have done, as well as our participation in the first Net Zero home in all of Virginia!
Check out our Video Resources page here.
Posted in Spray foam, Video Resources
Tagged attic, blown insulation, ceiling, closed cell spray foam, conditioned crawl, creative conservation, earth-friendly, energy conservation, energy efficient, spray foam insulation
A crawl space is an important part of your home. It promotes air circulation, provides access to plumbing, electrical and other wiring, and — most importantly — serves as the actual foundation of your home.
And, yet, it is often one of the most neglected spaces in a home. Because of their location, crawl spaces can easily become damaged by moisture, extreme temperatures, and water vapor levels. Once this happens, the structural integrity of your home can be compromised. This is why it is so important to check in on your crawl space – and if you’re in need of crawl space repair, Creative Conservation has the tools and the experience to restore this area of your home into tip-top shape.
We offer a variety of crawl space repair services, including: replacing contaminated crawl space insulation and vapor barriers, cleaning out debris, mold and mildew remediation, and installation of sump pump/interior drain systems.
Here’s a look at a crawl space before and after repair, so you can see the difference:
Read more about our crawl space repair services at www.creativeconservation.com.