An energy audit lets your home have a voice. It can answer the questions: why is it cold in the living room, what is that stench in the basement, etc. An audit will look at heating, cooling and ventilation systems, electrical and plumbing, appliances, lighting and insulation.
So what are the specific benefits?
- Lower energy bills and increased energy savings. A detailed report can provide energy efficient home improvement tips, including fixing dripping faucets, installing a high efficiency showerhead and getting your fireplace pillow fitted. Those are easy, small changes that can make a huge difference in your home. Big changes including replacing doors, windows and the roof are larger investments, but a cost saver overtime.
- Improved home comfort. An energy audit can point out where there is air leakage. Air leakage issues can be unhealthy and uncomfortable. Cost-effective sealing solutions can fix these leakages.
- Increased home resale value and marketability. By making your home more energy efficient, you have a better chance of getting a higher return on your investment. For every $1 decrease in annual energy costs, the value of the home increases by $20!
- Uncover hidden problems. Energy audits can easily point out the obvious answers to reduce energy costs, but the hidden problems can be even more beneficial. An energy audit can uncover improper ventilation, which causes mold and mildew and can make you and your family sick.
- Protect the environment. By creating a more energy efficient home, you can reduce the greenhouse gases your home contributes to the environment.
- Wise investment. You can earn a return of about 16% per year after implementing advice from an energy audit.
An energy efficient home is a valuable investment and spring is the perfect time to get one. We recommend getting your home audited once a year. It will cost less to run, increase the resale value and be a more comfortable place to live.